Sunday 18 June 2017

Snow art: cool paintings for a stinking hot day

Through Winter Snow, Gary Bunt
This winter, I really felt the chill in my bones for first time. I've been a cold-weather person...

...all my life, and it wasn't that cold. I'm not sure if that was because I've lost a lot of weight, or because of being constantly under the weather, or age. Whatever the cause, I found myself looking forward to the summer for the first time since it meant eight weeks off school. But it's 84°F here at the moment, and it's due to reach 88°F tomorrow - and that's too much for me, even with an industrial-strength fan a foot away from my face and a CoolAir blower at my back, both at full blast.
Night Landscape, Ilya Pyankov
Thank God I no longer have to commute. Anyway, after a tepid bath and a Häagen-Dazs White Chocolate and Almond Ice Cream bar, I found myself doing what I resorted to last year, and staring at chilly paintings on the computer for an hour. One of my Pinterest albums consist of nothing but images of snowy art. Here are a few of them:
The Observatory, Andrew Wyeth

Evgeny Lushpin

Trees in Snow, 1883, George Elbert Burr

Pennine Railway, Simon Palmer, 1999

Murder on the Orient Express, illustration by Andrew Davidson

Path in the Snow, Eyvind Earle

Victorian Winter, Richard Schmid

Sketch of Footsteps in Snow, 1909, Beatrix Potter

Silent Night, c. 1923, George Sotter

Red Barn, Dale William Nicholls

Carl Larsson

The Bronxville Trolley, Hal Robinson

New York Snow Storm, 1940, Ellison Hoover 

Snowy Landscape in Etikove, 1924, Valerius de Saedeleer
Blizzard, Joseph Farquharson
Well' that's better. A bit. Nah - not really.

No comments:

Post a Comment